- Data & Archives
- Policy & Conservation
- Education & Opportunities
- News & Events
You are here
Harvard Forest Data Archive
Tree Seedlings in CRUI Land Use Project at Harvard Forest 1996Related Publications
- Lead: Timothy Sipe, Richard Bowden, Charles McClaugherty
- Investigators: Rachel Clark, Jessica Rigelman
- Contact: Information Manager
- Start date: 1996
- End date: 1996
- Status: completed
- Location: Prospect Hill Tract (Harvard Forest)
- Latitude: +42.53 to +42.55
- Longitude: -72.20 to -72.17
- Elevation: 335 to 357 meter
- Taxa: Acer rubrum (red maple), Acer saccharum (sugar maple), Acer pensylvanicum (striped maple), Betula alleghaniensis (yellow birch), Betula lenta (black birch), Betula papyrifera (paper birch), Castanea dentata (american chestnut), Fagus grandifolia (american beech), Fraxinus americana (white ash), Hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel), Nyssa sylvatica (black gum), Picea spp. (spruce), Pinus strobus (white pine), Populus grandidentata (bigtooth aspen), Prunus serotina (black cherry), Quercus alba (white oak), Quercus rubra (red oak), Quercus velutina (black oak), Tsuga canadensis (hemlock), Ulmus rubra (slippery elm)
- Release date: 2009
- EML file: knb-lter-hfr.141.10
- DOI: digital object identifier
- EDI: data package
- DataONE: data package
- Related links:
- Litterfall, Biomass and Productivity in CRUI Land Use Project at Harvard Forest 1996-1997
- Tree Canopy Leaf Area Index in CRUI Land Use Project at Harvard Forest 1997
- Canopy Sky Factors in CRUI Land Use Project at Harvard Forest 1998
- Herbaceous Species in CRUI Land Use Project at Harvard Forest 1996
- Mapped Trees in CRUI Land Use Project at Harvard Forest 1996-2006
- Microclimate in CRUI Land Use Project at Harvard Forest 1997
- Photosynthetic Light Response Curves in CRUI Land Use Project at Harvard Forest 1998
- Herbaceous Stratum Sunfleck Regimes in CRUI Land Use Project at Harvard Forest 1998
- Herbaceous Community Composition in CRUI Land Use Project at Harvard Forest 1996
- Soil Properties in CRUI Land Use Project at Harvard Forest 1995-1998
- Soil Respiration in CRUI Land Use Project at Harvard Forest 1997
- Study type: short-term measurement
- Research topic: historical and retrospective studies; large experiments and permanent plot studies; physiological ecology, population dynamics and species interactions
- LTER core area: populations, disturbance
- Keywords: abundance, dispersal, diversity, land use, seedlings
Forests recovering from agricultural legacies differ in many ways that influence tree seed dispersal and seedling establishment patterns. We recorded the number of seedlings (less than 0.5 m tall) of all tree species on a 1 x 1 m resolution across six land use legacy sites (2 plowed, 2 pastured, 2 permanent woodlot) in summer 1996 to test several predictions about seedling abundance, diversity, and dispersion patterns, and their relationships to forest structure, microclimates, and soil resources.
Plot locations: Plow #1 Site: Prospect Hill Tract, Compartment # III, southern end. Plow #2 Site: Prospect Hill Tract, Compartment # III, southern end. Pasture #1 Site: Prospect Hill Tract, Compartment # I, southeastern edge. Pasture #2 Site: Prospect Hill Tract, Compartment # VIII, central edge. Woodlot #1 Site: Prospect Hill Tract, Compartment # VIII, northeastern edge. Woodlot #2 Site: Prospect Hill Tract, Compartment # VII, central.
This dataset is released to the public under Creative Commons CC0 1.0 (No Rights Reserved). Please keep the dataset creators informed of any plans to use the dataset. Consultation with the original investigators is strongly encouraged. Publications and data products that make use of the dataset should include proper acknowledgement.
Sipe T, Bowden R, McClaugherty C. 2009. Tree Seedlings in CRUI Land Use Project at Harvard Forest 1996. Harvard Forest Data Archive: HF141 (v.10). Environmental Data Initiative: https://doi.org/10.6073/pasta/1f377279d01d71221f51af0697243652.
hf141-01: tree seedlings
- site: site
- P1: Plow 1
- P2: Plow 2
- S1: Pasture 1
- S2: Pasture 2
- W1: Woodlot 1
- W2: Woodlot 2
- plot: plot number. Each permanent 30 x 50 m grid has 60 5 x 5 m plots. They are numbered from left to right and top to bottom across the grid. The upper left corner plot is 1 and the lower right corner plots is 60.
- cell: cell number. There are 25 1 x 1 m cells within each plot, also numbered left to right and top to bottom. The entire grid has 1500 1 x 1 m cells.
- number: number. Each cell has a unique number (1 through 1500) for use in digitized mapping of tree counts. The cell numbers are assigned by grid row, with numbers 1-30 across the top row of the entire grid, cells 31-60 across the second row, etc.
- x: x-coordinate of cell center for digital mapping of seedling counts across the grid (unit: meter / missing value: NA)
- y: y-coordinate of cell center for digital mapping of seedling counts across the grid (unit: meter / missing value: NA)
- species: species
- count: counts of seedlings in each 1 x 1 m cell by species (unit: number / missing value: NA)