- Data & Archives
- Policy & Conservation
- Education & Opportunities
- News & Events
You are here
Harvard Forest Data Archive
HURRECON Model for Estimating Hurricane Wind Speed, Direction and DamageRelated Publications
- HF025-01: zip file contains Hurrecon program (Windows executable files and related files)
- Lead: Emery Boose
- Contact: Information Manager
- Start date:
- End date:
- Status: completed
- Release date: 1999
- EML file: knb-lter-hfr.25.16
- DOI: digital object identifier
- EDI: data package
- DataONE: data package
- Related links:
- Landscape and Regional Impacts of Hurricanes in New England 1620-1997
- Landscape and Regional Impacts of Hurricanes in Puerto Rico 1508-1997
- Reconstruction of the 1938 Hurricane in New England and Hurricane Hugo in Puerto Rico
- Study type: modeling
- Research topic: ecological informatics and modelling
- LTER core area: disturbance
- Keywords: geographic information systems, hurricane damage, meteorology, models, region, wind
HURRECON is a simple meteorological model that estimates hurricane surface wind speed and direction based on the track, size, and intensity of a hurricane and the surface type (land or water). The model also estimates Fujita-scale wind damage as a function of peak 1/4 mile wind speed and wind gust factor. Estimates can be generated for a single site or a rectangular region. The model is based on published empirical studies of many hurricanes.
HURRECON can be used to study the impacts of individual hurricanes or to reconstruct the hurricane disturbance regime for a particular region. For more information on the most recent version of the model please see the published paper (Boose, E. R., K. E. Chamberlin and D. R. Foster. 2001. Landscape and regional impacts of hurricanes in New England. Ecological Monographs 71: 27-48). Additional information is contained in the documentation that accompanies the program.
Instructions for installing and using the HURRECON program are contained in the accompanying Readme file.
This dataset is released to the public under Creative Commons CC0 1.0 (No Rights Reserved). Please keep the dataset creators informed of any plans to use the dataset. Consultation with the original investigators is strongly encouraged. Publications and data products that make use of the dataset should include proper acknowledgement.
Boose E. 1999. HURRECON Model for Estimating Hurricane Wind Speed, Direction and Damage. Harvard Forest Data Archive: HF025 (v.16). https://doi.org/10.6073/pasta/d32e44edce6840ec2cabf6dc02d42bb1.
HF025-01: zip file contains Hurrecon program (Windows executable files and related files)
- Compression: zip
- Format: Windows executable file
- Type: model